Following events are part of the Registration fee and are free for participants of the Conference and the accompanying persons (when the fee for accompanying persons has been paid).
However, the venues for the social programme have a limited capacity and therefore it is advised to register as soon as possible. The tickets can be booked in the registration form on "First comes, first served" basis.
OPENING CEREMONY AND WELCOME COCKTAIL
Venue: Bethlehem Chapel
Date: Wednesday, 29 August, 2012
Capacity: max. 550 participants
Bethlehem Chapel (Betlémská Kaple) is located in the heart of the Old Town on Bethlehem Square (Betlémské náměstí). The Chapel is a lieu de mémoire par excellence. The Bethlehem Chapel was built in 1391 as a holy place where sermons could be held in Czech. Jan Hus - university professor and Czech religious reformer - preached there between 1402 and 1413. As he was also the Rector of Charles University, it is believed that the Chapel was linked to this institution. Later, in the 15th and 16th centuries, the Chapel served as a Church to the Utraquists and later to the Czech Brethren. In 1622, after the Catholic and Imperial party had won the conflict with the Estates, the Emperor gave the Chapel to the Jesuits, who also took control of the University. By 1786, the building was in very poor condition. Shortly thereafter, Joseph II abolished the Jesuit order, and the Chapel, which served as a Catholic church, was demolished. A merchant house was then built on the land. The memory of the Chapel was still alive in 1919, as it was linked to the history of Jan Hus and the Hussite movement, and an investigation of the house revealed solid foundations of the original building. The reconstruction of the Chapel was decided on political grounds in 1948, the aim being to raise a monument to the Czech Hussite movement. The reconstruction took place in the period 1950-1952, with the completed building serving as a solemn public space until it was given to the Czech Technical University in 1987 as its Magna Aula. The Chapel preserves the memory of one of the places in Prague directly linked to Jan Hus and his followers. The last reconstruction was completed in 1992.
A - Faculty of Arts
B - Bethlehem Chapel
EVENING CONCERT AT CLAM-GALLAS PALACE
Venue: Clam-Gallas Palace, Main Marble Hall
Date: Thursday, 30 August, 2012
Performers: Petra Matějová (fortepiano) - Marek Štryncl (violoncello)
Capacity: max. 100 participants SOLD OUT
Clam-Gallas Palace, Husova Street 20/158, Prague 1
Southern part of the façade of the monumental Clam-Gallas Palace reaches into the crossroad between Karlova and Husova street, it is one of the most important Baroque palaces in Prague. It was built in High Baroque style in the site of slightly older housing in 1714-18 based on a plan by J. B. Fischer of Erlach (construction by T. Haffenecker) for Count Jan Václav Gallas. The decorations were done by M. B. Braun and his workshop (portals with Atlas statues, sculptures of Ancient Greek gods in the roof part, angels-light bearers inside and vases at the staircase), painter C. Carlone, stonemason D. A. Rappa or stuccoworkers R. Bolla, S. Bussi and G. Fiumberti among others. In one of the three courtyards there is a fountain with a statue of Triton by M. B. Braun, protected by a Baroque grille. The Gallas and Clam-Gallas families, owners of the palace, were lovers and supporters of the arts; their palace became a famous Prague cultural centre where numerous concerts took place – with W. A. Mozart (1787) and L. van Beethoven (1796) performing there too, theatre performances (1812-38) were held there as well as exhibitions of paintings (incl. annual exhibitions of Fine Arts Unity in 1843-52). – In an alcove of the outer wall of the palace at Mariánské square there is a fountain with an allegorical statue of Vltava River by V. Prachner.
For more than a decade Petra Matějová combines in her carrier modern piano and fortepiano playing. Her interest is to approach each repertoir with the maximum care for the sound and interpretation esthetics of the time when it was conceived, which includes also the choice of instrument. Lead by her strong interest for the music of late 18th and early 19th century, Petra Matějová started to be active in the field of early music after graduating from the Prague Conservatory and the Academy of Performing Arts in modern piano. After studying the fortepiano simultaneously with Patrick Cohen in Paris and with Stanley Hoogland in Amsterdam, she continued in the "Cycle de Perfectionnement" at the Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique et de Dance de Paris.
Petra Matějová divides her musical interest between the early repertoir on historical instruments and the 20th century repertoir on modern piano. In early music her main partners is the cellist Marek Štryncl. In the last few years Petra Matějová appeared in the main recital series of her country, including two consecutive performances at the Prague Spring festival and a solo recital on both instruments at the series "World Piano Music" in the Rudolfinum. As a fortepianist she performed at festivals Couperin or Parc Floral in France or at the Early Music Festival in Barcelona, the EuroArt festival in Prague and the Fortepiano festival in Kraków. She is regularly invited to the Haydn festival in Western Bohemia or the Early music days in Bratislava.
Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827): Sonata F dur, op.17
poco Adagio quasi Andante
Jan Václav Hugo Voříšek (1791-1825): Rapsodie (kl. klavír sólo)
Giuseppe Barone Dall’Abaco (1709-1805): Capricci č. 6 a 9 (vcl sólo)
Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827): Sonata A dur, op.69
Allegro ma non tanto
Scherzo – Allegro molto
Prior the concert an exhibition of towns historical atlases will be on display.
CONFERENCE DINNER AT THE BŘEVNOV MONASTERY
Venue: Břevnov Monastery CHANGE OF VENUE
Date: Friday, 31 August, 2012
Capacity: max. 650 participants
The Břevnov Monastery, founded by St. Vojtěch and Duke Boleslav II in 993, is the oldest monastery in the Czech lands. The medieval character of this Benedict abbey was entirely suppressed by later modifications made between 1709 and 1720 under the direction of experienced architects of that time-Kryštof and Kilián Ignác Dienzenhofer. The interiors have preserved a number of baroque- and classicism- style halls, including the notable Teresian Hall with its magnificent ceiling frescos. Combined with the adjacent Abbey Dining Room, Pompeii Room and Receiving Room, it offers a wide selection of catering options.
In contrast to the baroque adornment of the representative building's upper floor, the gothic rooms on the ground floor are calming. It is here that you will best be able to revisit times long past as you host your banquet. It is as if the mysterious tones of choruses and the silent deliberations of the former inhabitants still sounded from within its walls.